I haven't forgotten about the Granny Squares. How can I when I see them everyday now? Remember we were doing some renovation works in the apartment and my husband requested for 15 granny squares to decorate JY's room? Well, in the end, only 12 was needed. I crocheted a border around them to make it the right size and he brought it to the upholstery shop to have it sewn it into a headboard for JY.
The paintings are folk arts that my husband got from Beijing. I'm undecided whether they would look better if they are framed in a lighter colour. We didn't buy a new chair for JY but use one of the dinning chairs plus a chair seat as it is not high enough for her.
No, I didn't sew the yellow fitted bed sheet. I bought the fabric to use as a quilt backing for JY's yellow quilt which is yet to be started. When we got her the new mattress, all her old sheets don't fit so I cut out the fabric, ready to sew and then chickened out. Too uncomfortable with the elastic bands. So mil brought the cut fabric to the market and had it sewn by the lady in the alteration shop who charged us quite a bit, in my opinion. And I thought to myself, there has to be another way.
That's JY, rather happy with her new room. Below is a very well-slept on (read 'very crumpled') pillow case that I sewed with Heather Ross yellow gnome fabric. This is a good and easy warm up project. Somehow, I don't like the pillow and the bedsheet to be in the same fabric but coordinated so I let JY choose from my yellow fabrics stashed for her yellow quilt and she picked this.
Then my mom showed me how to sew in the elastic for the fitted sheet when she visited us last month. This pink floral one is made by my mother. No need to go to the alteration lady, says my mom. And I sewed another coordinating pillow case for the pink sheet. Good thing is that there are so many colours in the granny squares, I can make bedsheets and pillows in every colour of the rainbow.
It is extremely difficult to have a nice and neat moment to photograph JY's room for the blog. This is normally the state of her room.
After the two pillow cases, I finally felt warmed up enough to tackle the elastic bands and casings, etc. And sewed CY one new fitted bed sheet. I still have yet to sew a matching pillow case, so photos later.