Ji Yuan has resumed her 'normal' schedule this week. Her summer school started and will last for three weeks. This means that she won't be home in the mornings thereby giving a breather to my helper and also put my mind more at ease while at work knowing that she will need only to tend to Chung Yi. Parents of more than one small kid will understand what I mean. With both of them at home at the same time and only one adult around can be quite a nightmare. Saturdays are again busy days for Ji Yuan. She has piano lessons followed by ballet classes. These lessons allow me to do some knitting while waiting and I welcome them. Yesterday, we brought Ji Yuan to watch the show, 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Fish'by the Windmill Performing Arts of Australia. It was a delightful and entertaining show with lots of brilliant colours and dramatic puppetry. The story is based loosely on Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'. Ji Yuan knows this story from school so she was able to relate to the show and she enjoyed it as much as we did.
I've got some FOs! Here are the plaid mittens.
And I finally finished my crochet motif top.
But, alas! Pictures are deceiving and when taken like that, there's no perspective of size. I'm disappointed to say that the mittens turned out bigger than expected even though I've got gauge. I was very tempted to throw them in the washing machine to felt them smaller as I remember seeing felted mittens before. So I tried felting a small swatch by hand and it didn't felt well. So I didn't take the risk because my washing machine doesn't felt very well. I remember it took 4 or 5 times to felt my booga bag. I'll be meeting my friend, Rebecca, on Tuesday to pass on the mittens to her before she leaves for New York on Friday. I'll see if they fit her.
I don't even have to try on to know that the crochet motif top won't fit. It is way too small for me and there's no way to block it to size because it seems to fit Ji Yuan better! When I tried it on earlier, it was kind of tight but still fitted. However, the ribbings at the bottom and the neck and armhole bands just contracted the whole top by a lot. To cast off the bands, I've used the tubular method which will give more elasticity. Here's a close-up. The yarn could not be reused if I were to rip it as it was cut for each motif. So I've got to leave it as it is. I think it is a good size for a pre-teen and I'm going to offer it to my friend's daughter and I hope she'll like it.
Lesson learnt: always knit, stop, and check!